Back to main Support page
Windows 95/98 Setup Instructions
Follow the procedure below to setup a new dial-up connection on your Windows 95/98 machine.
- Double click on "My Computer."
- Double click on "Dial Up Networking." If you do not have "Dial Up Networking" contact OpenCom and we will be happy to help you out.
- Double click on "Make New Connection."
- In the space labeled "Type a name for the computer you are dialing," type OpenCom. Then click on the "Next" button.
- Leave the space for the area code empty.
- In the space for the phone number enter, 956-3875 if you are in the Ames area, if you are in the Boone area, type 433-9433. Then click on the "Next" button.
- Then simply Left-click on the "Finish" button.
- You will see an OpenCom Icon appear. Right click on this (OpenCom) icon and move your cursor down to "Properties" and Left-click.
- A new window/box will appear, and about half-way down this new window there will probably be a check mark next to "Use area code and Dialing Properties".Uncheck this by Left-clicking on the check mark.
- Near the top of this window you will see Tabs, you are currently on "General". You will need to Left-click on the tab that reads "Server Types".
- In this area (Server Types tab) you will see several boxes checked. You will need to uncheck the box: "Log on to network" Then near the bottom of the window in the "Allowed network protocol" area you need to uncheck the boxes: "NetBEUI" and "IPX/SPX Compatible". Leaving you with only two boxes checked, "Enable software compression" and "TCP/IP". Look below at image.
- Then Left-click on "OK".
- Now Right-click on the OpenCom Icon again and move down to "Create Shortcut" and Left-click. A Window's message box will appear that reads "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?", you want to Left-click on "Yes".
- Close out all the boxes/windows until you reach your desktop. Insure that you have a "Shortcut to OpenCom" on your desktop. At this point you are ready to connect to OpenCom.
Connection to OpenCom
- Now that you have a "Shortcut to OpenCom" Icon on your desktop and have finished setting up your dial-up configuration. Just simply Double-click on the "Shortcut to OpenCom".
- A connection box will appear and ask for your "Username" and "Password", input the username and password you set up with us, check the phone number it is dialing to ensure it is dialing the right number and then Left-click on "Connect"